Fundamental skills for career success
Our bridge programs offer members the professional readiness skills to enter, and succeed, in the workforce.
English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Program
In partnership with LaGuardia Community College, this 8-week program will improve your reading, speaking, listening, and writing skills.
- Time commitment: 8 weeks of classes, 3 days per week for 2.5 hours
- Where: Classes meet in person at Chelsea Market
- What you’ll learn: new vocabulary, practice speaking in a supportive environment, and build confidence in everyday conversations.
Upcoming 2022 Dates
- Intermediate: July 12—September 1 (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 10am—12:30pm)
Summer & Fall 2022 dates coming soon!
During this course you will gain knowledge and confidence in using your computer. The skills you’ll gain during this 10-week program will be invaluable as you move through our increasingly online world.
- Time commitment: 10 weeks of classes, 1 day per week for 2 hours + optional weekly drop-in office hours
- Where: Classes meet online (via Zoom)
- What you’ll learn: computer basics and how to utilize Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets and Gmail)
Upcoming 2022 Dates
- May 26—July 28 (Thursdays 5—7pm)
*Hot Bread Kitchen’s members include cisgender and transgender women. We are also committed to supporting those who identify beyond the gender binary, and welcome gender non-confirming and non-binary people into our program.
**Religious or medical exemptions will be considered for our ESOL and Digital Skills programs only. Those requesting exemptions based on a medical condition or a religious belief must submit the appropriate form or letter to email@example.com. See full COVID-19 policy here.
“I like an English class with a lot of speaking because I sometimes have trouble understanding when people speak fast. When I took a class with Hot Bread Kitchen, my speaking and listening improved because I had the opportunity to speak and listen more and I learned many new words.“
—Laila N., Hot Bread Kitchen member, ESOL class participant
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the programs virtual or in-person?
ESOL takes place in person at Chelsea Market. Digital Skills takes place via Zoom.
Do I need a computer and Wi-fi to participate?
Yes, but if you do not have a computer or Wi-fi we can provide those to you.
Are Hot Bread Kitchen’s programs free?
LaGuardia Community College has been a proven leader in providing quality ESOL education and training for the past 50 years. The Center for Immigrant Education and Training was founded in 2001 with the mission to address the literacy and workforce development needs of low-income immigrant adults and their families through comprehensive programs and services designed to advance their civic and parent engagement, educational achievement, and self-sufficiency. Their innovative programs have helped thousands of students overcome language barriers to improve their lives both personally and professionally.