Do you have knowledge of a traditional bread recipe? Interested in learning how to bake in an industrial kitchen and start a career in the food industry?
Hot Bread Kitchen’s intensive training program serves immigrant women who are entrepreneurial, passionate about food, and eager to market their breads. We make it a priority to reach out to women who lack opportunities for professional development. To date, Hot Bread Kitchen has trained bakers from Morocco, Mali, Mexico, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Chad, Tibet, and Ecuador. Diversity is one of our team’s greatest assets and we encourage foreign-born women of all nationalities to apply.
While a basic level of English is required to communicate in the kitchen, we provide individualized ESL classes so that our bakers can perfect their language skills. Our training is geared toward women who have experience baking at home and recipes they are interested in developing; however, professional baking experience is not required.
We are looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial woman who wants to start a professional career in the culinary arts. If you are interested in joining Hot Bread Kitchen, please email your letter of inquiry along with your resume to. If you know a qualified candidate, feel free to contact us on their behalf.
Meet our current team of bakers here.
Part-Time Packing Associate
A reliable individual who can efficiently perform overnight bread packing duties for our non-profit bakery. The packing associate’s job is to pack various breads, organize orders for delivery, and communicate responsibly with Operations Manager, CBO, production, and facilities staff. This person must maintain packing systems and handle invoice distribution.
- Prepares all customer orders accurately. No mistakes.
- Pick and packs product into appropriate containers and boxes
- Ensures that all pre-packaged products are out and ready for delivery
- Packs shelf-stable breads
- Packs equipment for farmers markets
- Slices bread
- Makes sure invoices are distributed correctly
- Notifies Operations Manager of all packing-related concerns
- Keep bakery, kitchen, storage and office premises in clean and orderly condition.
- Sweeps work area at the end of shift
- Collects all pans and dishes throughout shift and brings them to the dish room
- Completes all packing duties within shifted time
- Highly detail oriented
- Can work in a fast-paced work environment
- At least 1 year experience working in food manufacturing
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Capable of standing on feet for a period of 8 hours
- Works quickly & efficiently in a food manufacturing facility that has high foot traffic
- Demonstrates ability to work with a team as well as independently
We are looking for a responsible individual to perform porter duties for our 24-hour, 4,000 sq. ft. bakery and incubator kitchen located at La Marqueta. The position’s function is to perform kitchen custodial and maintenance duties during and after normal business hours. Weekend availability is required.
Keep bakery, kitchen, storage and offices sanitized, neat and orderly.
- Clean bakery, facility, & bathroom floors by sweeping, mopping or scrubbing them
- Remove garbage and recyclables from the building
- Clean trash cans and other storage containers as needed
- Dishwashing by hand
- Sanitize and maintain machines according to Head Porter’s instructions
- Dust and polish kitchen equipment, office furniture, window ledges, walls, etc.
- Clean windows and mirrors
- Follow steps necessary to prevent insect and rodent infestation.
- Follow daily checklist as assigned by Operations Manager and Head Porter
- Assist head porter with various sanitation and maintenance jobs
- Leave work area in clean and proper order – no towels left out, mop heads clean, mop bucket rinsed out, brooms hung up, dish room floor squeegeed
- Notify supervisor about the need for any repairs or additions to facility operating systems.
Actively contribute to building security and safety:
- Securing the receiving area while delivery drivers load their vehicles
- Answering the door and requiring all visitors to sign-in and follow visitor protocol
- Responding to security problems by notifying the Police, Fire department or supervisor
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Must have legal authorization to work in the United States
- Must accept to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen
- Some knowledge and/or the ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Must have sufficient physical strength and ability to independently and repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds and to repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing more than 25 pounds with assistance
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen or restaurant ideal
Interested candidates should forward their resume to HR@HotBreadKitchen.org. Please include “Part-Time Porter” in the subject line.
Farmers’ Market Retail Supervisor
One of Hot Bread Kitchen’s primary sales channels is New York City’s Greenmarkets. We are seeking talented individuals to represent Hot Bread Kitchen at our market booths and help us increase our training capacity by growing our bread sales.
Schedule: 20-35 hours/week: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, & Sundays in farmers’ markets.
- Supervise assigned market stand. Ensure that any staff and volunteers working during your shift are in compliance with Hot Bread Kitchen’s and Greenmarket’s policies and regulations.
- Provide an exceptional level of customer service by being able to clearly communicate Hot Bread Kitchen’s mission and answer customers’ questions about all products.
- Communicate any feedback from customers to Market Coordinator.
- Set-up and break-down market booths and equipment; ensure that entire product display and work area are clean and attractive.
- Ensure accuracy of cash register, record starting & ending inventory levels during your shift
- Supervisory experience and customer service experience in food service or food retail
- Excellent interpersonal & customer service skills. Ability to interact with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Ability to think independently and make smart decisions
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Gmail applications
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, punctual and reliable. Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, stand on feet for 10-12 hours and work in all weather conditions throughout the year
Email resume and cover letter to: HR@hotbreadkitchen.org; subject line: “Market Supervisor”
Incubator KitchenThere are no available positions with the incubator at this time.
Internships & Volunteer Opportunities
Hot Bread Kitchen’s work would not be possible without the support of our many committed volunteers.
We offer once monthly drop-in volunteer nights, dates are listed on our calendar.
We periodically need volunteers to support in the following areas:
- Markets & Customer Service
- Special Events
- Baking (professional baking experience required)
- Computer technical support
Please download and complete a Volunteer Application Form, and submit with a current resume to.