Reporting to the CEO, this position will oversee management of the budget, accounting, human resources and all other finance activities as well as oversee office administration, and will be expected to be a strategic partner to the CEO. The Finance Director will oversee revenue growth in accounting and sales, while developing policies, processes, systems, analytics, controls and financial reporting required to operate a rapidly growing food business.
Beyond this, the financial director will work closely with the CEO on the wide range of opportunities and challenges involved in growing a vibrant social enterprise with the dual goals of generating cash flow and supporting vital career training initiatives.
The successful candidate will be an effective problem solver, an innovative thinker, and an experienced manager with strong communication skills. The position requires a solid understanding of fiscal operations and controls, food business models, non-profit accounting, hybrid business models, and budgeting.
Hot Bread Kitchen is an exciting place to work. We have more than doubled our budget over the last 3 years and are now planning national expansion. To do this, we require a finance director who has the full suite of qualifications on day one, along with solid experience in successfully managing in a high growth environment. We are looking for someone who is excited about growing with Hot Bread Kitchen.
● Participating in the development and implementation of overall policies, long-range planning, and daily operational goals and objectives.
● Ensure sound financial controls and procedures are in place and maintained organization-wide.
● Oversight, analysis, planning, reporting and leadership of the fiscal, budgeting and financial reporting functions. Lead participatory budgeting with Department Managers and overall responsibility for annual budgeting process.
● Participate in the development of business plans and create financial models and budgets for expansion of product, program and geography.
● Responsible for existing-product costing and pricing.
● Manage the organization’s cash flow and establish internal fiscal policies, procedures and controls to ensure sound financial operations and compliance with board directives, foundation requirements, GAAP, and government regulations.
● Work with outside auditors to ensure that the annual audit proceeds smoothly by maintaining proper documentation and by anticipating the needs of the auditors.
● Produce annual report for Board of Directors and budget reports for the CEO and department managers on a monthly basis.
● Prepare budgets and financial reports to funding sources, as needed. Manage restricted grants.
● Manage the form 990 preparations and submission.
● Oversee all bookkeeping, bank reconciliations and general ledger accounting. Oversee all finance-department staff.
● Oversee all human resource administration and office administration staff and functions. Maintain organizational policies.
● Participate in Finance, Investment and Audit committee meetings of the HBK Board.
● Other projects as required.
● Proven financial track record in the food distribution, food production or other business with characteristics similar to HBK. Bakery specific experience is a plus.
● Strong commercial mind and solid business sense.
● Highly focused, yet possessing the flexibility required in managing a rapidly growing business.
● Team player with a passion for what Hot Bread Kitchen does and why we do it.
● Demonstrated ability to hire talented staff and to develop team members’ skills to the fullest.
● Able to work with a range of work styles to successfully drive results.
● Strong budgeting, financial modelling and accounting skills and experience.
● Expertise in working with Excel and Quickbooks or other accounting software.
● Ability to handle sensitive information with high degree of confidentiality.
● Ability to work independently, prioritizing workflow to meet critical deadlines with attention to detail.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Accredited university degree in relevant discipline(s), Master degree preferred
● Good sense of humor.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
● Works in an office environment
● Frequently sits for long periods of time
● May require occasional standing, walking, lifting, stooping, or bending
Compensation package to be composed of base salary, plus incentive based upon hitting financial targets. Health benefits, IRA, and standard vacation are provided by HBK.
Due to the pace of the search, candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, and applications will be reviewed as they are received. Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume, salary history and where you learned of the position should be sent to: Interested candidates should forward their resume to HR@HotBreadKitchen.org. Please include “Finance Director Application” and your name (Last, First) and in the subject line of your email.
Do you have knowledge of a traditional bread recipe? Interested in learning how to bake in an industrial kitchen and start a career in the food industry?
Hot Bread Kitchen’s intensive training program serves immigrant women who are entrepreneurial, passionate about food, and eager to market their breads. We make it a priority to reach out to women who lack opportunities for professional development. To date, Hot Bread Kitchen has trained bakers from Morocco, Mali, Mexico, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Chad, Tibet, and Ecuador. Diversity is one of our team’s greatest assets and we encourage foreign-born women of all nationalities to apply.
While a basic level of English is required to communicate in the kitchen, we provide individualized ESL classes so that our bakers can perfect their language skills. Our training is geared toward women who have experience baking at home and recipes they are interested in developing; however, professional baking experience is not required.
We are looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial woman who wants to start a professional career in the culinary arts. If you are interested in joining Hot Bread Kitchen, please email your letter of inquiry along with your resume to. If you know a qualified candidate, feel free to contact us on their behalf.
Meet our current team of bakers here.
Part-Time Packing Associate
A reliable individual who can efficiently perform overnight bread packing duties for our non-profit bakery. The packing associate’s job is to pack various breads, organize orders for delivery, and communicate responsibly with Operations Manager, CBO, production, and facilities staff. This person must maintain packing systems and handle invoice distribution.
- Prepares all customer orders accurately. No mistakes.
- Pick and packs product into appropriate containers and boxes
- Ensures that all pre-packaged products are out and ready for delivery
- Packs shelf-stable breads
- Packs equipment for farmers markets
- Slices bread
- Makes sure invoices are distributed correctly
- Notifies Operations Manager of all packing-related concerns
- Keep bakery, kitchen, storage and office premises in clean and orderly condition.
- Sweeps work area at the end of shift
- Collects all pans and dishes throughout shift and brings them to the dish room
- Completes all packing duties within shifted time
- Highly detail oriented
- Can work in a fast-paced work environment
- At least 1 year experience working in food manufacturing
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Capable of standing on feet for a period of 8 hours
- Works quickly & efficiently in a food manufacturing facility that has high foot traffic
- Demonstrates ability to work with a team as well as independently
We are looking for a responsible individual to perform porter duties for our 24-hour, 4,000 sq. ft. bakery and incubator kitchen located at La Marqueta. The position’s function is to perform kitchen custodial and maintenance duties during and after normal business hours. Weekend availability is required.
Keep bakery, kitchen, storage and offices sanitized, neat and orderly.
- Clean bakery, facility, & bathroom floors by sweeping, mopping or scrubbing them
- Remove garbage and recyclables from the building
- Clean trash cans and other storage containers as needed
- Dishwashing by hand
- Sanitize and maintain machines according to Head Porter’s instructions
- Dust and polish kitchen equipment, office furniture, window ledges, walls, etc.
- Clean windows and mirrors
- Follow steps necessary to prevent insect and rodent infestation.
- Follow daily checklist as assigned by Operations Manager and Head Porter
- Assist head porter with various sanitation and maintenance jobs
- Leave work area in clean and proper order – no towels left out, mop heads clean, mop bucket rinsed out, brooms hung up, dish room floor squeegeed
- Notify supervisor about the need for any repairs or additions to facility operating systems.
Actively contribute to building security and safety:
- Securing the receiving area while delivery drivers load their vehicles
- Answering the door and requiring all visitors to sign-in and follow visitor protocol
- Responding to security problems by notifying the Police, Fire department or supervisor
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Must have legal authorization to work in the United States
- Must accept to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen
- Some knowledge and/or the ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Must have sufficient physical strength and ability to independently and repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds and to repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing more than 25 pounds with assistance
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen or restaurant ideal
Interested candidates should forward their resume to HR@HotBreadKitchen.org. Please include “Part-Time Porter” in the subject line.
Farmers’ Market Retail Supervisor
One of Hot Bread Kitchen’s primary sales channels is New York City’s Greenmarkets. We are seeking talented individuals to represent Hot Bread Kitchen at our market booths and help us increase our training capacity by growing our bread sales.
Schedule: 20-35 hours/week: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, & Sundays in farmers’ markets.
- Supervise assigned market stand. Ensure that any staff and volunteers working during your shift are in compliance with Hot Bread Kitchen’s and Greenmarket’s policies and regulations.
- Provide an exceptional level of customer service by being able to clearly communicate Hot Bread Kitchen’s mission and answer customers’ questions about all products.
- Communicate any feedback from customers to Market Coordinator.
- Set-up and break-down market booths and equipment; ensure that entire product display and work area are clean and attractive.
- Ensure accuracy of cash register, record starting & ending inventory levels during your shift
- Supervisory experience and customer service experience in food service or food retail
- Excellent interpersonal & customer service skills. Ability to interact with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Ability to think independently and make smart decisions
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Gmail applications
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, punctual and reliable. Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, stand on feet for 10-12 hours and work in all weather conditions throughout the year
Email resume and cover letter to: HR@hotbreadkitchen.org; subject line: “Market Supervisor”
Incubator KitchenThere are no available positions with the incubator at this time.
Internships & Volunteer Opportunities
ESL Conversation Volunteer
Hot Bread Kitchen is a non-profit, social enterprise bakery that creates professional opportunities for immigrant women. In order to fund our professional training programs we sell a line of multiethnic fresh breads baked with traditional recipes inspired by our bakers. We train our bakers in workforce ESL, baking technology, computers and professional skills so that they can launch new careers as business owners and culinary professionals. We are seeking volunteers to support our workforce ESL classes by providing additional language exposure and practice to our trainees during conversation groups.
These conversation groups will be an hour long and will focus on topics being covered in the regular workforce ESL class. Volunteers will be responsible for facilitation conversation and supporting trainees in using proper grammar and pronunciation.
- Facilitate an engaging conversation group that leverages what trainees have learned during ESL class
- Follow the conversational guidance developed by the ESL instructor
- Adjust vocabulary to meet the needs and support comprehension English learners at various proficiency levels
- Experience teaching adult learners a plus
- English or ESOL training preferred
- Ability work with people from various cultural and religious backgrounds
- Affinity with Hot Bread Kitchen’s mission and culture
- Ability to commit to a minimum of three months of volunteer work
Hours & Compensation:
- This is an unpaid volunteer position
- Conversation groups will be schedule at the end/beginning of the production shift (2:00 PM and/or 3:00PM)- must be able to facilitate groups at either of those times
To Apply: Please send resume letter of interest. HR@HotBreadKitchen.org.
Hot Bread Kitchen’s work would not be possible without the support of our many committed volunteers. We offer once monthly drop-in volunteer nights, dates are listed on our calendar.