If you’re anything like us, you relish in Thanksgiving leftovers as much as the main event. Snap up our Heritage Corn Tortillas and set aside a few extra pumpkin pie spices and choice pieces of turkey for these picadillo turkey tacos, adapted from the New York Times.
Photo courtesy of the New York Times
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 pound cooked shredded turkey
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon medium-hot chili powder (more to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ cup raisins
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Salt to taste
1 tart apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
12 Heritage Corn Tortillas
2 cups shredded cabbage (about 6 ounces)
Salsa and crumbled queso fresco as desired
1. Pulse the canned tomatoes with juice in a food processor fitted with the steel blade until puréed. Set aside.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it is fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the shredded turkey. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook, then stir in the pepper, chili powder, cinnamon, cloves and raisins and stir together for 1 minute.
3. Add the puréed tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and salt to taste, and bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring often. Add the apple, and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and meaty. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Cover the cabbage with cold water and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain and spin dry.
5. Warm a dry skillet over high heat. Circle tortillas with a little water around the edges, then place in the pan one at a time and heat for 30 seconds on each side until hot and pliable. Place in kitchen towel to keep warm and repeat with remaining tortillas.
6. Spoon the picadillo onto each one. Top with shredded cabbage, garnish with salsa and crumbled queso fresco if desired, and serve.