Just in time for this Sunday’s Super Bowl, our team is tossing together the perfect ingredients for your snack spread. Friday, January 30th through Sunday, February 1st, find handmade, small batch corn tortilla chips at our Greenmarket locations.
For the more adventurous, we recommend what can only be described as next-level nachos: Mexican chilaquiles. Read on for the recipe, or download the recipe card.
Hot Bread Kitchen’s Chilaquiles:
· 1 lb Tomatillos, washed and husked
· 1 Jalapeño
· 2-3 Cloves of garlic, unpeeled
· 0.5 Cup cilantro leaves (optional)
· 1 Package Heritage Corn tortillas, sliced into quarters
· Vegetable oil
· 4 Tbsp crema Mexicana or whole-fat sour cream
· 0.5 Cup crumbled queso fresco or Cotija cheese
· 1 recipe Salsa Verde
1. Prepare the salsa verde:
· Boil tomatillos for 5 minutes and drain.
· Roast jalapeños and garlic for about 20 minutes in 400-degree oven or toaster oven.
· Remove seeds and stem from jalapeño and squeeze garlic from its peel.
· Blend tomatillos, jalapeño, and garlic in food processor or blender until texture is smooth.
· Add cilantro, if desired, and a generous amount of salt.
2. Heat 1/8” of vegetable oil in a large skillet.
3. Gently fry tortillas until crispy and golden. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
4. In a clean skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of oil and cook salsa for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add tortillas and cook 2-3 minutes more.
6. Garnish with cheese, crema, and cilantro.