The only thing sweeter than a heart-shaped challah for Valentine’s Day is heart-shaped challah french toast for Valentine’s Day. Read on for our easy overnight recipe:
4 Tbsp butter, melted
3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
1 Heart challah, scored along the bottom
8 Eggs, slightly beaten
1 Cup whole milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 Tsp ground ginger
1/2 Cup pecans, measured then chopped (optional)
1/2 Cup dried cranberries
1/8 Tsp salt
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Beginning the night before, test your heart challah to ensure it fits in a 9×13 pan–or heart-shaped dish if available. If necessary shape tin foil to better secure the loaf. Score the bottom of your challah.
2. In a small bowl combine brown sugar and melted butter and pour on the bottom of your dish.
3. Combine milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a bowl and pour evenly over bread slices. Evenly press the dried cranberries into the top of the challah. You may need to slightly tilt the dish side to side to cover all edges of the challah.
4. Sprinkle chopped pecans over bread slices.
5. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4-12 hours.
6. In the morning, take the casserole out of the fridge for at least 10 minutes while you are preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
7. Bake casserole for 30-35 minutes. If top begins to brown too quickly, cover loosely cover loosely with foil.
4. Remove from oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Top with maple syrup and powdered sugar.