Fulani (Sahara desert people) style lamb meatballs with sauteed red peppers and turmeric couscous by Bintou N’daw of Nafis Condiments.
- 2 cups dry medium couscous
- 1 fresh tumeric root, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1/2 of a white onion chopped small
- 1 red pepper julienne
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1lb ground lamb
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 a small pumpkin or squash, peeled & diced
- 2 Tablespoons Nafis Hot Cumin Sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup of veggie stock
- Black pepper
- Boil 2 cups of water and add fresh turmeric, Ghee and sea salt.
- Add to the the dry couscous and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and set aside.
- Mix ground lamb, 1 Tablespoon Nafis Cumin sauce, parsley, onions, and salt. Marinate for 5 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Sear meatballs in olive oil and set aside.
- Sautee red peppers and diced pumpkin for a few minutes until browned.
- Add stock, 1 Tablespoon of Nafis Cumin, and the seared meatballs. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Warm up couscous if needed and fluff up with a fork.
- Plate meatballs with vegetables mixture on top and add black pepper to taste.