“Because we celebrating Black History month I decided to create a recipe that will fits the occasion. Black rice represents my culture—and also black is my favorite color. Black rice can be served with Fry BBQ Chicken or Snapper in Coconut sauce and any kind of green vegetables. Years ago black rice was known as Forbidden Rice and only rich people were privileged to enjoy it. Now a few store have it in stock. It is also rich in protein, fiber, antioxidants, iron, and it may boost heart health.” —Cornel Robinson, Cornel’s Catering Company
- 2 cups black rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil or clarified butter
- 3/4 oz minced garlic
- 3/4 oz onions
- 3/4 red peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 28 oz vegetable stock
- If desired, rinse rice in a strainer in cold water until water runs clear. Drain rice well.
- Heat butter or oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring until tender and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, peppers, thyme and stir together for two minutes.
- Add black rice to the mix, cinnamon powder and black pepper. Stir together for two minutes until black rice becomes shiny.
- Add vegetable stock, stir in rice and bay leaf.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil then reduce heat.
- Allow rice to cook 16 to 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow the rice to rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.